Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolutions

While an overrated holiday and really just an excuse to throw a party, the beginning of new calendar year is an annual time for reflection and goal setting.

"The world is built for people who are not cursed with self-awareness."

So said Annie Savoy in the best movie ever. Seems like an appropriate launch into my new year's resolutions. I have always thought of myself as a self-aware person, and as a sweeping generalization, what I don't know, I admit I don't know and work to find out. I know when to speak out and when to shut up and cut my losses. (I sometimes ignore this knowledge out of stubbornness, but that is a different issue.)

But being resolute in 2009 has less to do with what I do/don't know and more to do with what I will/will not do.

- I resolve to set goals.

- I refuse to lose focus.

- I resolve to eliminate clutter.

- I refuse to settle.

- I resolve to return to basics.

- I refuse to cede control.

Over the next couple weeks, I'll elaborate on these points, but right now it's back to the grind of trying to clean up/organize for the big move.

Yes, 2009 will look drastically different from 2008, but considering the way a number of things went last year, change is good.

If self-awareness is a "curse" and ignorance is bliss, I would rather be "cursed" than blissful. Here's hoping 2009 keeps these from being mutually exclusive. Happy new year, y'all.

ADDENDUM: Congrats to Matt and Stef on the wedding! You guys are rockstars, and we're all pumped for you...take lots of pics in Spain and give us access to the wedding photos soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment