Friday, January 30, 2009

God Doesn't Care Who Wins the Super Bowl

This is for you, all you Kurt Warner enthusiasts who think this game on Sunday is a platform for you to try to cram your fundamentalist Christian beliefs down the rest of our throats. Furthermore, it's back-handedly condescending that you would collectively crawl out of the woodworks now that St. Kurt is in the Super Bowl and imply that the Cardinals are some sort of team of destiny because of their QB.

Let's clarify before too many people get pissed off at what I'm saying. I'm not debating that Warner is a great football player, phenomenal leader and an outstanding human being. He is and should continue to be an inspiration to all. Nor am I debating Christianity. I'm not raining on anyone's beliefs. In fact, I applaud them. What I don't applaud is the perceived sense of superiority because of them. It's hypocritical.

[ASIDE: Larry Fitzgerald is a phenomenal player as well, and he's a guy who just goes out, does his job, kicks ass at it and keep his mouth shut. So, St. Kurt isn't even the only good guy on his own offense.]

Listening to you people, though, he is a beacon of light in a cesspool of immorality. The rest of the players on the field (and those that support them) have fastpass for the bullet train to hell. I've got news for you, folks.

You don't know these guys.

I don't either, with the exception of one. This guy. Yes, he has long hair. Yes, his long hair makes him look like a cartoon character. Or perhaps even a lead guitarist. He's a great guy and has been since college. Family guy, father, etc.

They very well may be a bunch of idiots and awful human beings. But in the absence of knowing that for a fact, I am not judging any of them.

I'm rooting for the Steelers. I'm rooting for a guy that I knew in college. I am not a bad person or any less of the Catholic I am because of it. God doesn't care. What God does care about, though, is the back-handed hypocrisy of judging others in His name.

"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." (Matthew 7:2, New American Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment